You and Hartford HealthCare are partners in your medical care, and the Hartford HealthCare partners encourages your active participation in your care. Please do not hesitate to ask questions or bring your concerns to the attention of your caregivers.
We appreciate this opportunity to provide an outline of your rights as a patient and our Joint Notice of Privacy Practices. These are designed to help protect your interests and provide you with quality care.
At Hartford HealthCare partners, you have the right to:
Express a complaint or grievance by contacting the Patient Relations Department at 860-545-1400 or extension 5-1400.
- Considerate and respectful care in a safe, comfortable environment.
- Personal privacy and confidentiality.
- Be treated with dignity.
- Have your physician and a family member or other person of your choice notified of your admission to the Hospital.
- Create an advanced directive.Know the names of health care providers and their role in your care.
- Treatment by compassionate, skilled, qualified health professionals.
- Be informed about and participate in your care and treatment plans.
- Be free from seclusion and chemical or physical restraints of any kind that are not medically necessary and the least restrictive effective approach.
- Be free from all forms of abuse or harassment.
- Request medically appropriate and necessary treatment.
- Refuse treatment as allowed by laws.
- Know what safety measures may be used during your care.
- Ask for a second opinion about your care.
- Proper assessment and management of your pain or discomfort.
- Request an interpreter.
- Review and obtain copies of your medical records.
- Receive treatment in an environment that is sensitive to your beliefs, values and culture
- Be informed about the care you will need after discharge.
- Receive information about and an explanation of your hospital bill.
- Request that an autopsy be performed either here or arrange for any other institution of choice to perform.
To contact the following agencies if you are not satisfied with the outcome of your grievance: Connecticut Department of Public Health 410 Capital Avenue Hartford, CT 06134-308 Phone: (860) 509-7400, (800) 842-0038 TTY: (860) 509-7191 www.dph.state.ct.us Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations One Renaissance Boulevard Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181 Phone: (800) 994-6610 www.jcaho.org
At Hartford HealthCare partners, these are your responsibilities as a patient:
- Give us complete information about your medical history, including any medications you may be taking.
- Tell us what you need. If you do not understand your care plan, ask questions.
- Be part of your care. It is important for you to tell us how you want to partner in your care.
- If you are not satisfied with your care, please tell us how we can improve.
- Follow our guidance in helping you get well.
- Be considerate of the rights of other patients, families and hospital personnel.
- Give us any insurance information we need to help get your bill paid and fulfill financial obligations to the hospital.